Parents and Players,
First off thank you all for your patience with GSA while we paused Basketball registration. After the Governor released his newest Covid-19 Safety Mandates all of the Rec clubs decided it was best to pause until we were able to meet and discuss how we could best move forward to allow Roanoke City youth to continue this season. GSA basketball registration is officially back open and I want to take a moment to discuss what this practice/game season will look like as we move forwad to provide a safe outlet for our growing youth during the current pandemic.
- We will be working with RCPS to provide a safe/clean gym for each team to practice.
- All levels of basketball will be reduced to one practice per week.
- Only one parent is allowed to attend practice for only Instructional and Biddy Levels. That parent is to remain masked while inside the gym and socially distanced from all other parents.
- Coaches will be masked at all times during practice.
- Children while engaging in active practice are not required to wear a mask.
- Do not bring your child to practice if you or your child are feeling sick or have a fever.
- Again we will be working with RCPS to provide a safe/clean gym for each team to play games in.
- Only one parent is allowed per player to attend each game and is required to wear a mask at all times. Failure to wear a mask or removal of your mask during game time could result in your teams forfeiture.
- Coaches and game staff are required to wear a mask at all times during game time.
- Players are not required to wear a mask while playing but will need masks when not playing, walking in and out of the game, sitting on the bench, meeting with the team after gametime.
- There will be 20 to 30 minutes scheduled between games. This time will be used to clean and sanitize All nescessary areas. There will be no early admittance for coaches, players, or parents.
- We are currently working on obtaining the proper thermometers to safely take temperatures of players before each game. Please reach out to me if you would like to help.
- If you or your child is feeling ill or has a temperature please do not attend games.
As we move through the various mandates as set forth by our governor and following current recommendations of the cdc and vdh we will continue to work with the other rec clubs to provide what we believe to be a safe way for our cities youth to continue to grow through sports. I appreciate your patience and cooperation while we are constantly working together to continue to move forward. As stated many times before masks are required and are not a suggestion. If you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a mask then you will need to find another adult to acompany your child to games or practice. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the above guidelines please reach out to me. Lets make this a great season!
Gary Foster (AD GSA Basketball)